Monday, May 08, 2006

V-I-C-T-O-R-Y!!!!!

What a great way to end a Saturday...with my boyfriend in victory lane at the Crown Royal 400 at Richmond International Speedway.

The day started with me meeting my dear friend Robin at a local Cracker Barrel for a huge Old Timer's breakfast. Having not been to the chain since a trip to Nashville in 1999, it was quite the treat devouring eggs, bacon, cheesy hashbrown casserole, grits and biscuits. Sufficiently stuffed we journeyed to the IKEA so I could visit the furniture I'm getting to re-furnish my guest room/den. After Robin and I said our goodbyes I headed to Kohl's to acquire the bedding for the new guestroom bed.

Right before the race was to begin I decided I wanted "special pizza" for dinner so the hubby and I drove to the Donato's for a large traditional crust pepperoni. It's kind of like Pizza Hut but better, tons better. Back at home on our couch we dug in and watched the green flag wave. Junior started 10th, which is better then he's done in a while. He pitted on an early caution and he seemed destined for the front of the field after that. Kevin Harvick, who's been on a hot streak lately, led 242 laps and did all he could not to let Junior by. Finally on lap 356 Junior's tenacity paid off and he made the pass and was able to run in the lead till the end of the race. A couple of late cautions made things kind of dicey because Denny Hamlin was knocking on the door a time or two, but Junior wasn't going to let him though.

Victory Lane was tricked out Crown Royal style, from the groovy purple pillow with a red crown that sat atop the Bud Chevy, to the beautiful minions holding that distinct purple bag aloft. As soon as Junior climbed from the car and got his Budweiser shower the Crown Royal minions moved in, practically standing on top of Junior as he gave his post race interview. Talk about distracting, all you could see were Crown Royal bags and heavily made-up spokesmodels staring vacuously into the camera while Junior talked. I suppose their instructions were to get on camera and show the Crown bottle, which they did, but my god, give the guy a little space huh? Though I suppose if I looked like these girls I might just squash myself as close to Junior as I could, sweat and beer be damned.

No comments: