Wednesday, July 26, 2006

A Sad Day...

Okay, let's get one thing straight. Should I ever have a child I would certainly hope SOMEONE, like my husband or my mother, would notice that I was acting strangely and get me some help BEFORE I drowned my child in the tub - or all five of my children as in the case of Andrea Yates. Today she has been declared not gulity by reason of insanity so she gets to go to a mental hospital instead of prision. At this hospital she will have periodic evaluations by a judge who can determine that's she's "all better" and can be released.

So my question is when she's released from the mental hospital, will her five kids suddenly come back to life because she's not crazy anymore? Unfortunately we all know the answer to that question is NO. Obviously there was something terribly wrong with Andrea Yates and I agree that prosecuting someone who is seen to be mentally ill can be a slippery slope. All I know is she must have been one very convincing mentally-ill actress for no one to have answered her cries for help - so that on a given day in June 2001 she waited until her husband left for work, then one by one she held her children under water until they drowned, covered them up with a sheet on her bed and called 911. I just can't believe no one saw that coming - and five innocent children had to suffer for it.

Hindsight being 20/20 I suppose...Rusty Yates, Andrea's ex-husband, said today "Yes, the jury came to the right conclusion. The jury looked past what happened and looked at why it happened. Yes, she was psychotic. That's the whole truth." It's a shame he couldn't see that five years ago.

No comments: