Monday, August 21, 2006

Shooting Up...


Today will mark the 7th day that I've been injecting myself with hormones to try and manipulate my body into creating, and holding onto viable eggs in a scientific attempt at getting pregnant. In seven days my estrogen levels have risen from 32 to 136. The doctor seems pleased with that so I will be too. The directive for the next three days is to continue with my regimen from the last six days, which is two vials of meds mixed with one vial of saline. But tomorrow (Tuesday) I have to give myself a second injection of a medication that will keep my right ovary from releasing, what the doctor called my "lead follicle", early. I also have to take the second injection Wednesday night. Then it's back to the doctor Thursday morning for blood work and another ultrasound. Should everything be on schedule I will have to give myself yet another shot of medication, only this time to signal the release of the egg. Luckily these needles just go into the skin of my stomach because for the last two nights I think I injected an air bubble along with the medicine. I just can't seem to get them out of the top of the syringe without spitting out the medicine. Since each night I'm shooting $100 worth of medicine into myself I don't want to waste any of it and muck something up. I must say this process is giving me a new respect for people with illnesses and insulin dependent diabetes - at least there will be an end to the constant bloodwork and needles for me. Other people aren't so lucky.

5 comments:

Angry Inky said...

Maybe you need to find yourself someone who is good with needles to help you out. Who do we know who's a junkie? ;)

Real Live Woman said...

Are you doing the shooting or is your hubby? I try to picture myself doing it and just can't. I remember when Jenn was going through all of this and she had a friend of ours who was a nurse do it for her instead. She lived nearby and Jenn would stop by on her way home from work for her daily injection.

princess1128 said...

Last night my dear hubby prepped the needle for me to see if he had better luck and he came up with no air bubbles. But the man who has been getting allergy shots since he's been eight can't even be in the room when I'm doing it - so I give the shots to myself. The first night it was kind of surreal but now it's okay. It's really not as bad as I thought it would be.

Angry Inky said...

Okay forget, I'll drive. Gimme the keys!! No, seriously, I'll stick you if you want. When I'm at home. Just an offer.

princess1128 said...

I'm sure you'd LOVE to stick me Inky. Get back at me for all those years of me being the bitchy big sister. Thanks for the offer.

Who do we know who's a junkie...you crack me up!!!