Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Soggy Night...Great Show

Last night my husband and my mom accompanied me to the Allentown Fair for a country music triple header. Miss Miranda Lambert kicked off the night with a solid performance. At certain points during the show her microphone was really over modulated and a few notes went right through my left ear like an ice-pick. But all in all she was a good start to the evening.

The venue was no where near sold out, which was a shame, because people missed a good show. Having seen both Miranda Lambert and Dierks Bentley before - the wild card of the night was Jason Aldean. In my humble opinion this relative new-comer stole the show. Working from a debut album can sometimes make for a difficult stage show but after playing several of his songs "Why", "I'm Just a Man", & "Amarillo Sky" he asked if he could sing a few songs from groups that influeneced him growing up. True to his country roots he belted out fabulous renditions of three of Alabama's biggest hits "Tennessee River", "Love In The First Degree" & "The Closer You Get". Then swinging the pendulum in the other direction he played "Paradise City" and "Sweet Child Of Mine" by Guns & Roses. I thought it was AWESOME!!!! The woman my age a few seats over didn't appreciate Jason's foray into hard rock because she sat with her fingers in her ears until he was through. I could have listened to Jason rock all night long.

Around 9:40pm Dierks took the stage and was grateful for everyone who came and sat in the rain to see him perform. Having seen him this summer on tour with Kenny Chesney, there weren't many surprises. He played two songs from his new album, all his hits and a couple extra gems from both his debut and sophomore album offerings. It was nice seeing Dierks with only a few thousand people instead of in a jam packed arena. He said he always wanted to return to the Lehigh Valley for a show and last night he got his wish.

As we ate our waffles and ice cream and walked back to the car - I had to admit it was a great night all around - good music, good company and no crazy talkers to ruin my good time.

No comments: