Friday, March 24, 2006

Cowboys on the Land...

While I'm on the subject of watching cowboys on TV I thought I would give a little time to another of my favorite things...Bull Riding, the PBR Built Ford Tough Series, to be exact. Airing on OLN on Saturday and Sunday nights, this is the "Nextel Cup" of bull riding. Each event of the 30-city competition pits the top 45 riders against each other to see who can ride the most bulls, win the most money and ultimately be crowned the champion at the finals in Las Vegas Nevada at the end of October. The reigning World Champion is none other then hottie Justin McBride.
At 26 years old he stands a paltry 5' 8" and tips the scales at a lean 140. I don't know what it is with me and guys that size. Another hottie on the bull riding scene is 25 year old, Aussie Brendon Clark who also stand only 5' 8" and weighs in at 155 pounds. In a discussion with my co-worker we were wondering how these lean guys can take the physical beatings week in and week out. It's like I'm back in college when my girlfriends and I would page through the soccer team program to see how many of the guys weighed less then us. Speaking of college, my roommate Andrea and I talked about going to Las Vegas for the National Finals Rodeo, held every December, to see if we could snag us a cowboy or two. We would have been known as buckle bunnies had that road trip ever come to pass. I hadn't given that much thought in the last ten or so years until watching the "King of the Hill", episode where they have to go to the gay rodeo to find Dale's Dad. Bobbie, who finds he has a penchant for rodeo clowning, saves Joseph from a raging bull and as the episode ends Joseph gives Bobbie one of his buckles and Bobbie says "I guess this makes me your buckle bunny." That totally cracked my shit up.

No comments: